Stories of Art, Culture, Nature.
The origin of Clusone is very ancient. According to many people, it dates back to the period of Orobic settlements, around 1300 a.C.. This is the date of the most ancient archaeological find that was discovered in the zone.
In Roman period Clusone became an employment centre thanks to the iron industry, that was very developed in Upper Seriana and Scalve Valleys. For this reason the “arming house” for the weapon depot was built in Clusone. The city became also the “blacksmiths prefect’s” residence: the prefect was the keeper of weapons and the valley governor. Several finds discovered in the zone prove this fact: coins, weapons and gravestones with Latin inscriptions.
From the most remote periods to Middle Age Clusone was ruled with own statutes and had wide freedom and remarkable autonomy.
On 2nd October 1427 the Venetian Republic ruled Clusone and the whole Seriana Valley. In this period Clusone experienced its greatest artistic, cultural and commercial splendour and achieved great economic prosperity. By the fall of Serenissima because of the French troops, Clusone underwent all the historical-political events of Lumbardy. Anyway, it kept intact its role of capital of Upper Seriana Valley, as well as its heritage of cultural and social traditions, so that on 12th November 1801 it became “city”. This title was then confirmed from the Italian Republic on 15th May 1957, as acknowledgement of its glorious past.
The thousand-year old and very rich history of Clusone is proved by its artistic churches and elegant palaces, as well as by the richness of fresco decorations, graceful squares, alleys and colonnaded courtyards. Small traces remain of the city walls that surrounded the ancient centre from Paradiso to San Defendente churches.
Clusone is placed on a sunny slope on the edge of a small upland about 650 meters above sea level.
It is surrounded by hills and mountains, where nature still preserves a lot of its beauties: a pinewood for walking, paths and routes among woods and mountains, suitable for every age and need; hills that appear from the upland and make you cherish panoramic glimpses that are appreciated by artists; more demanding hikes on Prealpi and Orobic Alps, along outfitted paths and well-organized refuges.
Two almost parallel arterial roads go through the old town centre from West to East, dividing it into four big steps: the first is the step of the old Longarete city quarter; in the second there was the old IMVICO (Imus vicus) city quarter, that today is the commercial route from Uccelli square to Cifrondi street, with every sort of shops and boutiques; in the third you find the palace of the Venetian podesta and in the fourth the cathedral and the Disciplini oratory.
The particular position of its old town centre, that guarantees a constant exposure to sun and a protection from the coldest air currents, together with the relative proximity to the bigger centres in Lumbardy and an extremely important artistic heritage, make Clusone a tourist destination. This feature is also guaranteed by advanced infrastructures of the service industry.
A particular privilege is given by the vicinity of the most important ski-resorts too: “La Spessa” locality in Clusone, Presolana, Monte Pora, Colere, Schilpario, Spiazzi di Gromo and Monte Campione.